Life without kids is so yesterday.
Celebrity Sisters Hilary and Haylie Duff are now both mothers — Hilary is mom to her three-year-old son, Luca, and Haylie welcomed her daughter, Ryan, this May.
BuzzFeed Life recently sat down with the sisters to discuss their participation in Similac’s Sisterhood of Motherhood campaign called Sisterhood Unite — which addresses the problem of judgement among parents — as well as what it's like surviving blowout diapers, mastering the "mom look," and which kid's show character annoys them the most.
Macey Foronda / Via BuzzFeed
Hilary: "Sometimes the stuff closest to home — with a girlfriend or a family member — you take really personally and it can hurt, you know? But some of the first times I felt judgement were after six months of breast-feeding my child and starting to supplement him formula. A lot of people are super judgmental about your birth plan, or the way you decide to feed your baby, or what kind of stroller you buy."
Haylie: "It starts with you, too, you know? I think the thing that affected me the most about watching the Real Parents, Real Judgement video is that you realize you have to hold yourself accountable for the judgement you're putting out toward other parents as well. You're not just asking people to not judge you, it's you being responsible for the judgement you're putting out too."
The funny thing with parent judgement is that even the most know-it-all parent has had a parent fail moment or two. What are yours?
Haylie: "I had one the day after my daughter was born at our first appointment with the pediatrician. We got there on time and felt really good about it. We were like, “We’re such good parents! We are really doing this!" And then the nurse said, 'Okay, change her diaper and then we’ll meet you in the office.' And we looked at each other and realized we’d left the house without the diaper bag. We were like, 'What? We don’t have another diaper! What are we going to do?'”
Hilary: "No!"
Haylie: "My husband was like, 'We failed this mission!' We did. But the next time we really killed it. We had an extra diaper and a change of clothes. But yeah… day one."
Macey Foronda and Jenna Williams / Via BuzzFeed
Haylie: "I was convinced my daughter wasn't going to have those and Hillary was like, 'You just wait,' and then literally that afternoon we had one. We have a place in Malibu and had packed everyone and the dogs into the car, ready to leave, when a big blowout occurred. I just stripped her down, rinsed her in the sink, and let her ride home in a diaper. Because everything was packed!"
Hilary: "I have one worse than that. I was flying to New York with Luca, and he had an extra outfit, but I didn't. That was an interesting last hour and a half of the plane ride. He was clean, he was good… I wasn't. So I've shoved an extra T-shirt into my bag ever since."
No comments:
Post a Comment